Goat Housing Information
Goat Housing Information
Suitable goat housing or shelter is very important for goat farming business. Because goats also need house like other domestic animals for staying at night, security, preventing them from adverse climate, cold, sunlight etc. Some people used to keep their goats with other domestic animals such as cow, sheep etc.
Even in some areas, people used to keep their goats under trees. But if you want to establish a profitable commercial goat farm, then you must have to build a suitable house for your goats. Before building house for goats, read the following tips very carefully.
- Try to select a dry and higher place for making the goat house. Ensure that, the selected goat housing area is high enough to keep the goats safe from floods.
- You must have to keep the floor of the house dry always.
- Always ensure the huge follow of light and air inside the house.
- Make house in such a way so that it become very suitable for controlling temperature and moisture.
- Always keep the house free from being damped. Because damping condition is responsible for various diseases.
- Never let the rain water enter inside the house.
- Try to make the wall of the house with concrete or by using bamboo poles.
- The house must have to strong and comfortable.
- Keep enough space inside the house for taking rest.
- The house must have to have the facilities of cleaning well regularly.
- Goats are feared about cold and water. So take extra care in rainy and winter season. Otherwise they may caught by Pneumonia.
Types of Goat House
You can make your goat house by using various designs. And specific goat housing design is suitable for specific production purpose. Two types of house are most common for raising goats.
Goat Housing Over Ground
Generally this type of houses are made over the ground. This is the most common house for goats. You can make the floor of this type of goat house with brick and cement or simply with soil. It will be better, if you can spread some dry straw over the floor in this housing system. But you must have to keep the house dry and clean always.
Goat Housing Over Pole
This type of houses are made over pole. The floor of the house heights about 1 to 1.5 meters (3.5 to 5 ft) from the ground. This type of house keeps the goat free from damping condition, flood water etc. The poles and floor in this housing system are usually made with bamboo or wood. This types of house is very suitable for goat farming, because it is very easy to clean. And you can easily clean the closet and urine of goat form the house. Diseases are also less in this housing system.
This types of goat houses are fully made with concrete, and slightly expensive. But concrete houses have many advantages. It is very easy to clean the house, and easy to always keep your goats safe from all types of predators. You can construct the house over ground or over concrete poles. Both types are easily maintained. Diseases are less in this housing system. But it is very expensive method of goat housing.
Required Space for Goats
In accordance with increasing the body size and weight of goats, they require more space. A house of 1.8 meter *1.8 meter* 2.5 meter (5.5 ft * 5.5 ft * 8.5 ft) is suitable enough for housing 10 small goats. Every adult goat needs about 0.75 meter * 4.5 meter * 4.8 meter housing space. Every billy goat needs 2.4 meter * 1.8 meter housing space. It will be better, if you can keep the nursing and pregnant goats separately. You can extend or decrease the area of goat house according to the number of goat in your farm. But keep in mind that, every goat needs their required space for proper growing and better production.
Chart of Required Space for Goats According to Their Age and Nature
Goat Required Space (Squire Meter)
Baby Goat 0.3
Adult Goat 1.5
Pregnant Goat 1.9
Billy Goat 2.8
While building house for your goats, always emphasis on the comfort of your goats. Ensure that, your goats are living happily inside their house, and the house is suitable enough to keep them free from adverse weather and all types of predators.